Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Less of plastic, more intentional choices

Growing up, I am attuned to the concepts such as recycling, global warming etc because of the exposure we had in Singapore's education system from primary school. I wonder how much have we as humankind advance in bringing consciousness to these stated concepts as a whole.

I concluded that it's not much. My heart didn't feel good when I read the article on 'Message in a (PET) plastic bottle' published on Straits Times on 28 Nov 2017. The article noted the continual trending of single usage of plastic products which has inevitable impacted the environment. Link to the article can be found here. Infographics credits to Straits Times.




I confess I am one of the contributors of plastic waste. Aside from the fact that plastic products are cheap, they are definitely easily accessible for example plastic bottle, plastic straw. A lot of intentional efforts is required if one is to devoid of plastic and its associated use.

I bought some stainless straws to gift it as Christmas presents recently. My intent was to do my part in reminding everyone to make greener living choices where possible. But guess what? The straws came with plastics wrapping! What an irony isn't it?



No comments:

Post a Comment